Friday, January 29, 2016

[ADMIN] Big industry moves and a little blog update!



Just checking in to mention a few things.

2014 was a chaotic/sad year in Kpop related news. Industry problems with lawsuits, corruption, and abuse being far more prominent than the usual. 2015 felt timid and quiet by comparison. Companies seemed to be testing the waters for experimentation in sound and methods of distribution... and folks who are a bit more tapped into the business side were taking note of behind-the-scenes deals gathering steam. Some of this is now becoming public.

I'm personally fascinated to see how this all unfolds.
MoonROK has a good article focused on the plans SM Entertainment has announced:

Why Lee Soo Man’s New Cultural Technology is the Smartest and the Scariest Thing to Ever Happen in K-pop

Mainly that they will release a single with an MV every week for the year. Pretty wild.
YG had kind of a mini version of this with Big Bang last year. Hard to say what kind of impact this will have. Certainly we'll be witnessing a play between quality/quantity along the way.

For the bigger picture, it's an example of an industry shifting under the weight of new technologies, digital, streaming, and trying to find a path forward into the future.

As for the blog, I've begun to implementing some genre tags. It's something I had considered doing from the beginning, but I thought I'd be bogging myself down. With a few years under my belt, I feel like it will be super helpful. I'll gradually try to backlog, but that will be slow-going. It's hard to predict how this will go, but I'll probably tag these weekly "Station" releases SM is doing in a special way to keep track of them.

Onward!

No comments:

Post a Comment