Friday, August 19, 2016

[MV] CL - LIFTED



This is finally CL's OFFICIAL official debut in the US.
Exhibit A for why I prefer not understanding Kpop lyrics. Lol.

My initial reaction was "derivative"... which probably sounds snooty.
I have some conflicted feelings. The relaxed vibe of the track is really nice. I think that works. But the lyrics are entirely about getting high and drinking, which I suppose there's nothing wrong with... it's just so common and tired in American music right now.

Also some potential issues with casting almost entirely black men for the video and essentially using them as props to show how cool CL is. Appropriation issues come up a lot with CL and YG in general. This certainly isn't helping things.

The dudes trampolining (?) up that wall she's sitting on was neat. Most everything else feels like pandering to particular demographics in a rather cringe-y way. MRJ expressed a lot of my concerns in his review.

I've been rooting for CL hard since she debuted. Fantastic performer. I just think everything she did with 2NE1 early on was vastly superior to all the stuff she's done recently. I wish she could bring something vibrant and distinctly 'Kpop' to the US market, instead of something like this safe, corporate, cliche-filled creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment